Insulation removal is a necessary step to install the most modern, energy-efficient, and safest insulation for your home. The heating and cooling appliances perform at an optimal level by providing a controllable and restrictive atmosphere. With the extreme weather conditions in Perth, the demand of insulation removal services is year-round.
Everything You Need to Know for Perth Insulation Removal Services
There are not many times when insulation needs to be removed from a home or building. However, there are certain circumstances that require us, RCIP, to come in and take all that insulation out. When that happens, all us at RCIP ensure it is completely necessary to remove the insulation. Afterwards, we can replace the insulation with exactly what you need to be comfortable when you are inside your own home.
What is Insulation?
First, let us go over exactly what insulation is and why it is important inside your home. Insulation is what is used to prevent heat from transferring from the outside to the inside of your home. It can also prevent cooler air from entering your home during the colder months of the year.
There are many types of insulation available for installation. However, the ones you will hear us talk about the most include insulation batts, blown in cellulose, polyurethane foam, polyester batting, and reflective foil. Each type of insulation offers its own unique benefits. Therefore, your home may need a different type of insulation material than what your friends or family have in their home.
This is why you must check with a professional insulation specialist like us before you choose a Perth insulation remover and the subsequent insulation installer. We will go over the pros and cons of each type of insulation. We will also tell you why the insulation you currently have must be removed if necessary.
When Does Insulation Need to Be Removed?
Here at RCIP, we only see a few instances where insulation removal needs to be done. It is important to note that most of those instances require the insulation to be removed sooner than later.
Most of the time, you will see us removing insulation so our customers can stay healthy in their homes. Harmful chemicals can wreak havoc on your health, which is a huge sign for insulation removal. Some extreme cases can even lead to a potential fire hazard.
We will also remove it so you can save some money and be comfortable in your home. Alot of the time – New insulation will work so much better. You won’t need to set your thermostat at colder than normal temperatures during the summer and higher than normal temperatures during the winter.
While it is possible to place new insulation over old insulation, we cannot always do that. Therefore, you will see us thoroughly inspecting your old insulation before we agree to keep it in place. If there is the slightest chance that your current insulation is not safe or damaged, we will remove it to keep you & your family safe.
Reasons for Insulation Removal
As we mentioned, there are a few reasons Perth residents may consider insulation removal. Some of those reasons are for health and safety. Other reasons are to help you save some money and be more comfortable in your home.
- Save Money – One of the main reasons why we remove insulation in Perth is to help you save some money on your energy bills. When new insulation can lower your energy bills, we normally remove the old insulation before installing the new insulation. Of course, this will also allow you to feel more comfortable inside your home at any time of the year.
- Renovations – If you are planning on adding a second floor or renovating the layout of your current home, your old insulation will need to be removed. Getting rid of the old insulation will ensure the work can be completed properly. Forgoing the insulation removal process may mean old wires are ignored, ductwork is left in the wrong place, and insulation clumps and residue is left where it shouldn’t be. All those things can cause issues in the future.
- Mould Growth – Leaking roofs, rupturing pipes, and any other type of moisture can cause mould to grow on and in insulation. Mould spreads easily through all types of insulation. It can cause major health issues too. If you notice you are having issues breathing or in the off-chance you are fainting more often, you could have mould growth in your home. We always recommend having your insulation inspected regularly, so you can make sure mould growth isn’t an issue.
- Allergies – Insulation is made from many different materials. If you are sneezing more than usual or are beginning to have breathing issues, you may be allergic to your insulation. Spray foam is the usual culprit when it comes to insulation and allergies. However, all types of insulation can cause you to feel under the weather. If you are noticing new allergy symptoms, you must consider insulation removal and have new insulation made from a different material installed.
- Infestation of Rodents – No one loves having rodents in their home. Once they get in, they never seem to want to leave, because the insulation creates a nice soft place to live. While you may think you can just live with them, as long as they stay there, you can’t. These rodents can start to roam around the rest of your house, leaving excretions wherever they go. Those excretions will already be throughout your insulation, causing even more problems. Removing your old insulation will remove their home. You can then make sure their entry point is sealed, so your new insulation is safe.
The Insulation Removal Process
The process for our Insulation removal service is slightly different depending on the insulation you have in your home. We do use a vacuum removal most of the time, unless it is simply not possible.
- The vacuum sits on our truck and sucks all your insulation out of your ceiling and walls. The insulation is then placed into bags that are designed for insulation removal. These special bags will not tear and keep all the miniscule loose particles from escaping into the air and the rest of your home.
- In addition to removing all your old insulation, we will remove all dust, leaves, animal feces, and other debris. There will be nothing, but clean space left for you to see. This will ensure you have the perfect starting point for your new insulation.
- If we are focusing on the insulation in your ceilings, we normally remove part of your roof. We then stick the vacuum in and begin the insulation extract process from that location. This will prevent us from moving all the insulation throughout your home. As you can see, we do our best to minimize your exposure to your old insulation. We also try to ensure there is as little mess as possible inside your home.
- If we do need to enter your home, we will make sure every area we are in is clean. There will be no small pieces of insulation anywhere. The reason we make sure everything is cleaned up is so you do not feel the effects from anything that could be within those small particles.
The entire insulation removal process should take at least four hours for a standard home. It can take longer if you have a lot of insulation or a larger home. We do not like to rush this process, because when a person does that, mistakes can be made. Therefore, do not be surprised if we tell you that we will need an entire day or two to remove the old insulation from your home. It may not end up taking us that long, but we want you to be prepared in the off-chance that it might.
The Types of Insulation We Remove the Most in Perth
There are certain types of insulation that we seem to remove more than others. We thought we should share them with you here. This way, if you have them in your home, you can be aware that the insulation may need to be removed sooner than later.
- Blown in Insulation – Blown in insulation is the type of insulation we seem to remove the most often. This type of insulation is made from emulsified newspaper, as well as organic cellulose. Many chemicals are in blown in insulation. These chemicals include formaldehyde and boric acid. This is the dustiest insulation available and it can be messy to install and remove. If you do not remove it and need to do work in the area it is in, you will need to use extreme caution. Not only will it make a mess, it is easy to breathe in the little pieces. If you have this type of insulation in your home, you may notice that you are experiencing breathing issues. You can even end up being diagnosed with asthma when you have blown in insulation in your home.
- Wool Insulation – One of the oldest insulation options still around is wool insulation. This type of insulation is excellent at insulating your home. However, the natural oils in the material will attract insects and rodents. Wool insulation shrinks over time. This means it will not be as efficient as it first was after a few years. This insulation can get mouldy easily too. The reason for this is when it gets wet, it doesn’t dry quickly.
- Urea-Formaldehyde Insulation – This type of insulation was quite popular back in the 1970s and 1980s. You will find urea-formaldehyde insulation in your ceilings. It was mostly sprayed between the joists in the ceiling to prevent heat loss. As you can tell from the name, there is formaldehyde in this insulation. This insulation does break down over time, which makes it necessary to remove before new insulation is installed.
- Batt Insulation – Over the years, newer batt insulation has been introduced to the market. Some of the newer batts were still excellent. However, a few of the newer batts introduced did not meet the Australian safety standards in place. Those batts contain more formaldehyde than necessary. That chemical can create breathing issues for some people.
We have spent years working with insulation, whether removing it or installing it. The demand of our work has made it possible to open the doors of RCIP, so we can continue to serve every one of our customers in the best way possible. We strive to provide the best service for insulation removal and that will never change with this new expansion.
RCI Perth is a professional insulation specialist for both offices and homes. We only use Australian-made products built for Australian homes and offices. RCI Perth is familiar with both insulation installation and insulation removal work. This is what makes us insulation removal experts in Perth. Do not hesitate to contact us today: you’ll be glad you did!
Our Director, Vinnie, will personally assess your situation and oversee all projects from beginning to end. For all Insulation Removal Perth enquiries, please contact us below.